(Only Tyson and my sister-in-law Camille will find the title of this post amusing. Ha!)
During the last half of my pregnancy with Adria, I fought the worst pregnancy symptom I've had to fight in all my pregnant experience. Acne. Cystic, inflamed, uncontrollable, horrible acne. Most people said it wasn't "that bad," but those I'm closest to openly discussed how horrible it was. They legitimately felt bad for me. They could see that it hurt. Especially along my jawline, my face was so inflamed and tender that it hurt to smile sometimes. Only those who saw me in person know how bad it truly was. No pictures do it real justice, although these give a bit of an idea.
During the last half of my pregnancy with Adria, I fought the worst pregnancy symptom I've had to fight in all my pregnant experience. Acne. Cystic, inflamed, uncontrollable, horrible acne. Most people said it wasn't "that bad," but those I'm closest to openly discussed how horrible it was. They legitimately felt bad for me. They could see that it hurt. Especially along my jawline, my face was so inflamed and tender that it hurt to smile sometimes. Only those who saw me in person know how bad it truly was. No pictures do it real justice, although these give a bit of an idea.
Troll, much? Ha!
My face kept clear with Proactiv until my hormones got so out of whack. At that point it didn't do anything for me. I visited a dermatologist but since I was pregnant his options were limited. He recommended that I do LESS because I was probably irritating my skin worse by trying to help it so much. He sent me home with Cetaphil cleanser and lotion samples and they did help but not like I had hoped.
After Adria was born my options were still limited due to breastfeeding but I received several treatment recommendations from friends and family. They are what this post is about. I tried several treatments- -some worked and some didn't. I realize every person's skin is different and is successfully treated differently, but I'd like to share some things I've learned.
My step mother-in-law treated me to a day at her spa and the Esthetician who gave me a facial recommended the Image Clear Cell product line.
I bought the cleanser and scrub. Both helped a little but not completely. They didn't do much for my cystic zits or the tiny all-over zits I had everywhere. They cleared up my typical white head problems, but that was it. I used both products for about a month and then stopped. (I decided to try the scrub again a couple of weeks ago and it made me break out. I won't be touching it again.)
Melaleuca is an ingredient in the Clear Cell line and several people suggested I try using the oil.
It provided a soothing sensation but dried my skin enough that I felt like my pores started producing more oil to compensate for the dryness, which in turn produced more acne. I used it for a few weeks and that was it.
A friend recommended a horse skin spray called Purishield.
I was pleasantly surprised by the results! I found that it helped restore my skin after I picked at it in the mornings and evenings. You know how your skin oozes after you pick a zit? If I spray the Purishield on my skin after I pick a zit, it doesn't ooze and I'm able to cover it easily with makeup. It's a great product!
Another friend recommended Redmond Clay.
I LOVE THIS STUFF!! I used it as a facial mask and I could just feel that it cleaned deeper than anything else!! It draws impurities out so it seems like it's hurting more than helping, but it helps clear zits out almost as fast as they appear. Just the other day I had a big cystic zit growing on my nose. It was so tender and red but it wouldn't pop, no matter how hard I tried. One night I put a dab of Redmond Clay on it and by morning it had a head. I popped it and it cleared right up! I LOVE THIS STUFF! Oh, I said that.....
I figured cystic acne was just another form of cysts so I researched which doTERRA oils help get rid of them. I decided to try Frankinsence.
Oh.my.goodness. It's incredible! It stinks like pine and it feels sticky, but I rubbed it on my jawline for 4 nights and it shrunk all the deep cystic zits away!! So wonderful!!
Then my mother-in-law suggested taking ibuprofen for the inflammation.
Duh! I take ibuprofen for swelling in other parts of my body, why not my face?? I had these 800 mgs left over from Ryder's delivery so I took one every night for a week and the redness and inflammation finally went away. I was no longer a troll- -I felt like a woman again!
I finally got to the point that my cysts and whiteheads were taken care of, but my skin was still bumpy and blemished. I decided to try my Proactiv one last time.
It cleared everything! Whiteheads, blackheads, cysts, all-over-bumps, etc. My face is as soft as Adria's!
It's been weeks and I'm still marveling at how good my skin feels. I will never take clear skin for granted again!! After all of the bumpiness and tenderness I experienced, it feels so good to wash a smooth, comfortable face! Those darn hormones are what did all the damage. I was really afraid I would never get my skin back, but now I know if it happens again I don't have to be scared anymore.
And there's one last thing. When I ordered another supply of Proactiv, they threw in a month's supply of their Vitaclear anti-acne vitamins.
I haven't necessarily noticed a difference in my skin, but I have noticed a major difference in my daily attitude and energy level! I am so happy! And I feel so much less inconvenienced by appointments, duties, children, errands, etc. Check out the %DI of each vitamin:
833% of my Vitamin C daily intake?? Ha! Do I really need that much? I'm sure I don't. In fact, I'm just going to buy a good multivitamin rather than spending on the Vitaclear. I have to admit I'm not the most rounded eater- -I eat mostly carbs, dairy, and fruit- -so ANY multivitamin will help. I'm just less-than-smart for not taking anything earlier. I feel so good!
So that's that! The story of how I defeated my nemesis =0)
I've been struggling with hormonal acne since I was 19! I will have to give this stuff a shot.
ReplyDeleteI love it! I am gonna go all the good stuff you recommended. My skin got horrible (and i mean HORRIBLE) with each pregnancy. It takes a toll on you you:( So Sorry! But you look great!
ReplyDelete